Thursday, February 21, 2013

Upper Florida's ICW Trees

This addition to the daily blog is by Frances:
The vegetation along the Upper Florida's ICW is interesting.  The most striking is the tall straight pine trees with their root systems.  The trees have one main root that goes straight down as an extension of the tree into the ground then there are roots that grow out perpendicular from the base at ground level (which is horizontal to the ground).  Once these shoots are 3-4 feet long, they then grow straight down/veritically into the earth.  You can only see this once the water has washed away all the sand and dirt away from the roots.  The photos are of these trees.



The rest of the vegetation is magnolia trees, small palm trees, kudzu (a vine that will climb on trees and kill them) and marsh grasses.  These are the ones that I recognize and find fascinating since none of them grow wild in the Pacific NW.

For my quilter friends that are following our blog, I went to the Quilting by the Bay Quilt Shop here in Panama City Beach on Tuesday.  It is a really nice shop with lots of beautiful fabric, patterns, ideas, notions, and small kits for pincushions and larger kits for quilts.  The ladies at the shop were really nice and I had a good time talking with them about being from the Seattle area.  I got a small pincushion kit, several patterns, a couple of charm packs and two Kaffe Fassett fat quarters (bright purple, pink, green, blue on brilliant red background).  Too much fun!!!  I think of all of you often and am missing my monthly Cascade Quilters Meeting.  I plan to go to several more quilt shops on our travels and will write about them when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment